Beauty Amazon

TOM & JERRY COMICS No. 148, November 1956

I am unable to hazard even a guess as to who the artists are for any of these stories or cover, but the artwork is certainly worth the temporal light of a post.

This may be as good a time as any for me to express how much I love and miss old-school, hand lettering. Isn't it a beautiful thing? With regard to artist identification, my only thought is that many of Tom’s expressions in these pages are so precisely similar to expressions used in the famous MGM Cartoons. Perhaps a moonlighting animator? Postscript: We have a winner! Pal, Gary Brown, supplies artist identification for the Tom & Jerry stories as the great Harvey Eisenberg! See comments. -- Mykal

I am most regretful about not being able to identify the artist for this Barney Bear story. I love the way the “human people” are drawn in this one, and the brushwork throughout is very robust and confident. Postscript: Wow, what an informative post this has been for me! New friend, Luca Boschi, has provided the artist for this story: It's Cecil Surry! See comments. Thanks, Luca!

This ad is from the inside back-cover. If any ad, anywhere, conveys “1956” with any more perfection than this one, I haven’t seen it.