Beauty Amazon

FOUR COLOR No. 501, October 1953

I recently stumbled upon the work of Don Gunn by virtue of a classic feeding frenzy at the last MegaCon in Orlando, Florida. I was simply grazing the $2.00 Dell boxes, snapping at pretty covers like a frothing dog (friend Gary Brown was much more methodical), when this comic fell into the maw of my addiction.

The artist for this story, Don Gunn (pencils and inks), followed the path trod by so many talented artists in the 30s and 40s: Disney animator turned comic book artist. He worked for Western publishing and, as it happily turns out, did a substantial amount of work. As I opened this book for the first time, I felt my pick strike into soft, bright gold.

These are two classic Dell “black & whites” (inside covers). More nice stuff from Don Gunn!