Beauty Amazon

COO COO COMICS No. 28, August 1946

After reviewing Craig Yoe’s wonderful book of kids’ comics (see last post), it occurred to me what a monumental job Craig faced selecting only the best stories for a single volume. I mean, in the golden age of comics alone the talent was overwhelming!

How rich was the cartooning field during the golden age (late 30s to late 40s)? Friends, I can show you better than I can tell you. I thought of a fun project: I grabbed (I swear) a random issue of Coo Coo Comics from my collection – issue no. 28, August 1946. I’ll post every story from the issue over the next several days, excluding none! By project's end, we will have walked a yard or two in Craig’s editorial shoes. Let’s get started!

First up is an Al Hubbard Supermouse story. This is the first story in the comic. Already we’re elbow deep in "classic!"

Don R. Christensen (working as Don Arr) gives us our next treat with a “Zippie” story. Christensen was an animator for both Disney and Warner (as part of Bob Clampett’s unit) before turning to cartooning. I’m already beginning to understand why a book like The Golden Collection of Klassic Krazy Kool Kids Komics takes years to edit!

The random harvest of this issue of Coo Coo Comics continues with two (that’s right, two) stories from Jack Bradbury!