Beauty Amazon

Dick Hall's Woody Woodpecker!

Let's try a couple from Four Color No. 364, December 1952 on for size. After the beautifully composed cover by Dan Gormley, both of the following interior Woody Woodpecker stories finds Dick Hall on pencils and Irene Little on inks. I won't even pretend to know who Irene Little is, but if the Grand Comics Database says it's her at the brushes, I'll go along with it. I wasn't able to find out a darn thing about Ms. Little, though. All I know for sure is that she could ink up a storm.

Dick Hall has been under-represented on this blog. He did a ton of comics for Four Color, working - like Dan Gormley - most often on Walter Lanz characters like Andy Pandy and Woody. Yep, like so many, he was a former or sometimes animator for many major studios.

I have to say, I love the character, Tackhammer, in these stories. Too bad he didn't find his way into the Walter Lantz cartoons.

This final black & white inside back cover has Dick Hall on pencils, but the GCB doesn't offer any help with the inks. It looks to me like Ms. Little again, though.